Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Amphibious activities in the 17th century


My search for suitable boats to use in scenarios during the period 1660-1720 let me to the trade stand of a company called Games of War (http://www.gamesofwar.net/) at the Carronade show in Falkirk. They have a very useful collection of craft with the right look and adequate internal capacity for figures,

I had in mind several scenarios for the Ireland book but also Camaret Bay in 1694, action in North America and also the Caribbean. I am not talking the usual YoHoHo Pirates malarkey here but pukka military operations such as amphibious landings, river actions and the like.

The Games of War products seemed just the job so I took the plunge and purchased about 50 quids worth. I chose three types - as largish rowing boat with high sides, a 'long boat' which has a socket for a dowel mast and their largest craft which is a small sailing ship.

I was most interested in the internal capacity of the models - how many models could they hold, could I put multi bases inside and whether during photography I would have to do a lot of Photoshop to hide bases inside.

The results have really pleased me. The boats meet the spec perfectly. The models are light and well made with the only real problem coming during the painting. Despite a thorough soaking in warm soapy water getting the paint to take was quite challenging. I ended up coating all models in two layer of household emulsion (dark brown) before painting them in acrylics.

This post shows some general size and comparison shots. Other posts will detail the more interesting models.

10 comments:

  1. Row, Row row the Boat....

    Looks nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these splendid (and realistic) boats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is simply nothing as worthwhile as messing about in boats. A fine looking flotilla Bary! I have sailed into Brest harbour and moored next to Vauban's tower in Camaret, and I was intrigued by the gaming possibilities of LoA actions there.
    Cheers, PD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very happy with the results. The pictures of the Highlanders in the boats are actually 'out takes' from one of the scenarios in the Ireland book. The Highlanders are I this case.. The Earl of Antrim's Redshanks as Dave will already have spotted from the flag on the quayside.
    So, I've killed two birds with the one stone here... showed you all my boats and dangled a scenario from the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to check my collection to see if Barry had nicked their flag 8-)
    Just finished reading both scenarios lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They do look very nice Barry, but I thought you said "Don't mention any thing about boats?" ;0)
    I shall be looking at these bots myself now methinks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great fleet you are developing there Barry - love the green slime around the base of the boats and on the harbour walls...
    I can see these ships playing the role of the Mountjoy and Phoenix, heading down the dangerous narrows of the Foyle to bring relief to Derry- ahead of them the longboat from the Swallow with its crew of axemen to break the Frenchman's boom - and HMS Dartmouth holding the Jacobites in Culmore Fort at bay... what a prospect...!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking watercraft. Thanks for the review of the several different makes as I would like to get some of the larger ones for a Louisbourg game.

    ReplyDelete
  9. more coming up on the reviews of the products too, glad you like my slime Peter! I have one already prepared for the Mountjoy, that is coming up in another post soon

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Subscribe to get League of Augsburg updates by e-mail!

Join the League of Augsburg!

Search

The League of Augsburg © 2013 Supported by Best Blogger Templates and Premium Blog Templates - Web Design