Sunday, July 3, 2016

On the Jacobite Trail

The brooding Head of Glencoe

On a recent, unusual assignment I had the chance to pass through and photograph some of the most dramatic scenery in Scotland, all of which has a Jacobite 'wars' connection. My ultimate destination was the shore of Lochailort.

The Campbell's are coming!


To get there from home I had to drive up Loch Lomond side to Crianlarich, through Tyndrum on over the eerie Rannoch Moor and into the maw of the Glencoe - awe inspiring landscape which truly does take your breathe away.

It has a very eerie feel

Royal Standard of the King of Scotland


Past the site of the massacre at the mouth of the glen and from there across the bridge past Ballachulish and on to Fort William (first named after Orange and the recalibrated after the Hanoverian).

Where the standard was raised - head of Loch Shiel

Bedding down on the side of Loch Linnhe, I pressed on the next day through Glenfinnan having passed the station at Locheil. I paused at 0800 to take a shot of the monument in tribute to the raising of the Stuart standard at the head of Loch Shiel before finally reaching Lochailort.

Rannoch Moor from the head of Glencoe

A day's work spent looking out from the far shore towards the rail line to Mallaig used as the track of the Hogwarts Express and known as on of the top 10 rail journeys in the world was a welcome change from skyscrapers and airports. I had the pleasure of the whole experience in reverse at the end of the day.

Dramatic exit from the Glen of Weeping

Warfare Highlanders


Passing under the enormous shoulder of Ben Nevis which appears far larger than it actually is (as many Scottish mountains do because they rise out of the sea and straight up) I finally arrived back home 36 hours later inspired by the beauty on my doorstep.

Jacobite Clansmen


Travel as I do, there is nowhere in the world like the Western Highlands.


Jacobite camp followers - The Macdonalds of Glencoe?

17 comments:

  1. A very impressive scenery! Breathtaking! Compared with the Highlands my finest "Hill" lays in Tyrol and looks like this: http://www.natur-portrait.de/images/upload/orig/thaR97.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a fantastic looking 'hill' Gunter and much better weather than we get in Scotland.

      Delete
    2. Gunter, that is not is your back garden is it? I thought Wien was flat!

      Delete
  2. We visited the Highlands in May of 2012. On the drive to Fort William from Edinburgh my wife said "I have come home, my heart is in the Highlands" We only had 3 days to see so much, we drove over the mountains on the south side of the Great Glen to Inverness to Culloden then back to Fort William via the North side of the Great Glen. On our way back to Edinburgh we visited Glen Coe NP visitor center. We wished we had more time to walk the trials. We both fell in love the the Highlands. BTW my wife's ancestors are from Scotland. Some fought at Culloden and others at the Battle of the Boyne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've skied Glencoe and stayed in Ft William a couple times. Beautiful country

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spent many a happy day in that area. Absolutely stunning and a photo Op round every corner. Especially on the road to Skye. Trip from Ft William to Glasgow is quite magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spent many a happy day in that area. Absolutely stunning and a photo Op round every corner. Especially on the road to Skye. Trip from Ft William to Glasgow is quite magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pics, one day I'll get up there myself. I may even buy some highlanders too???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pics, one day I'll get up there myself. I may even buy some highlanders too???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I am glad this brought a few memories back for people. I confess to having had a little tear in my eye as I drove through this astonishingly beautiful route. It really does hit an emotional chord in the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Been there twice - rained both times but absolutely glorious scenery

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was driven through this area last year. Stunning scenery. I hadn't realised where I was until I read your post. Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another inspiring post, Barry. Want to go there soonest! As an aside the new Christopher Duffy book 'Fight for a Throne' has a very well-written introduction to the Jacobites and background to the ultimate conflict in 1745. Peter

    ReplyDelete
  12. My trail is easily extended in several directions - north to Glen Shiel and the 1719 battlefield or north east to Culloden and Fort George or back south east to Killiecrankie and Dunkeld. All beautiful places. Scotland gives good scenery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We were in Scotland in May of this year. Glasgow to Oban, to Skye, to Inverness to Edinburgh. We realized two days into our trip, we ARE going back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Barry,

    you are so lucky to be able to work in such a outstanding place, many moons ago I ahd the pleasure to walk from Rannoch station to Fort William via Ben Nevis and just imagined I was back in the 1740's
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds like some walk Mark! You would certainly have gotten a commission in a Highland regiment fighting for the Prince or would it have been one of those Hanoverian battalions? :0

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Subscribe to get League of Augsburg updates by e-mail!

Join the League of Augsburg!

Search

The League of Augsburg © 2013 Supported by Best Blogger Templates and Premium Blog Templates - Web Design