Wednesday, September 21, 2016

New Russians released!

Two codes R7 and R8 combined to give a sense of battalion mass

These have been in production for a few weeks and some people have already ordered them by private enquiry but the delay is all due to me. I wanted to get some samples painted properly before uploading them into the shop.

R6 With kartuz Ready

I am delighted with the sculpts and the style of head wear we went for in the end. It is of course not the square shaped kartuz/pokalem that has been commonly illustrated over many years but rather a felt cap in a kind of montero style which now seems to be favoured by Russian re enactors of the Great Northern War. We are taking this as a good sign.

R7 in an attractive colour combination

Otherwise, the uniform is pretty conventional. Clib has crafted some lovely variants on the poses which are of course mirrored in the tricorned versions as codes R01 and R02.

R8 with excellent loading poses

To demonstrate that not all Russian troops wore green coats I decided to paint some in quite a bright red (probably too vivid for the period but it ended up looking pretty nice when contrasted with the equally vivid green I chose.

R11 Pikes at the charge

The other combination is an off-white and crimson mix. This also is a bit of a digression from the standard green coat but I did find evidence of the combo in sources both uniforms are illustrated in Tacitus's GNW site.

R1 has proved very popular

Finally, the pikemen are super additions to the range. The hands need drilled out with a pin drill but this was a conscious decision we took and for the 30 seconds it will take you to drill out each hand the perennial pike and shot problem of 'pike-pinging' is gone for ever!

R2 compare with the poses in R8

A more detailed expo of all the codes will come soon but suffice it to say, the Russians have just had reinforcements and I am pleased to say the attacking/defending pack with fixed bayonets is not far behind!


R3 Musketeers at the ready in tricorne

26 comments:

  1. Barry,

    looking outstanding, a good addition to your expanding range, will have to save up some pennies and put a order in.
    Mark S

    ReplyDelete
  2. More excellent figures!! Keep 'em coming Barry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are there more command coming in the near future?

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Rob, we have seven packs of Swedish command so inevitably the Russian total will go up

      Delete
  4. I've just ordered Englunds Poltova. So knowing me. I'll probably have to order some Russian cavalry and infantry soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is a great read. I took a little heat at Historicon for questioning it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is a great read. I took a little heat at Historicon for questioning it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed reading the book but I always felt I was reading a fictional review of the battle rather than a factual report especially when he starts adding 'personal statements' to battlefield situations when he could have no idea who said what to whom. It's still a recommended read though.

      Delete
    2. Generalb,

      I if you look at Englund's section on sources, he says that he wrote the book using "a minimal academic apparatus." In other words, he has purposely not cluttered the narrative with citations, etc. That does not mean that the quotations are a figment of the author's imagination. The book was based on scores of reports, letters, and memoirs of actual participants in the battle. If a quotation occurs in the text, I feel sure that it appeared in someone's memoir, letter of report. Of course that doesn't mean that it was actually said, just that someone reported it as said. In fact, Englund points out that many of the writers were attempting to disassociate themselves from responsibility for the disaster. Since Englund is a member of the Swedish Academy, I doubt that he would make up quotations without telling the reader that he was doing so. In any event, it is a great book.

      Delete
  7. I'm actually not that interested in that battle(there are others I find more interesting), but not that many GNW, that has a full book devoted to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, you still haven't forgiven me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dannie, of course - nothing to forgive, just a very interesting difference in perspectives and totally aligned to my chosen role as 'chief-poker' :)

    Of course you saw these Russians at Historicon - some are in the post to you now. Did you get my mail? I wrote to all of the investors with an update but hard from none which kind of tells me either the mail did not go OR no one is talking to me :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barry, I did get your email and I am looking forward to getting the package!

      Delete
    2. As I am no Investor anymore I did not receive an email of course-)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. OK Dannie, that's fine - clearly my insecurity complex was taking over!

      Delete
  11. Bob and me can help you with that complex on Sunday Barry.😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much looking forward to helping out with that Dave, apparently it's open season on Hilton's now.

      Delete
  12. au contraire Gunter I wrote to you personally about 6 days ago but received no response

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also sent you a mail Gunter, to say the Ruskies arrived safe & well, but also got no reply.

      Delete
  13. I thought open season on Hiltons started on May 26th.......
    Marlborough's birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. Always has to mention the great man, doesn't he.

      Apparently he's got a pair of Marlborough PJ's 7 slippers

      Delete
  15. Be wery wery quiet I'm hunting a wilton

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Subscribe to get League of Augsburg updates by e-mail!

Join the League of Augsburg!

Search

The League of Augsburg © 2013 Supported by Best Blogger Templates and Premium Blog Templates - Web Design