Friday, January 20, 2017

Snowstorm? Brainstorm? Fraudstadt.. League of Augsburg style

Looking from the Swedish right towards the Russian positions


I honestly thought I had blogged our Fraustadt refight(s). Clearly I had not! A request to know more on another thread has prompted me to go to the archive and pull out some pix and scour my memory for what actually happened on the day (s) we ran this in Dumfries two or three years back.

The Swedish Army from its left wing looking long the line


I felt the table was a fairly accurate representation of the battlefield and our order of battle for each army represented every unit making for a nice multi player game.

Behind the Russian Corps' positions

Saxon Dragoons and Cuirassiers on the right wing


Laying traps amidst the frozen ponds - Saxon Dragoons

I filled some gaps in the Swedish army by speed painting three or four battalions using the slap n' dunk method of flat colours and army painter. The results were pretty pleasing and the overall look of the army was super.

Swedish infantry get ready to march forward


Gunter Heim re-flagged some of his Saxon battalions to provide the Russian contingent. The terrain was Adrian's and the use of some Woodland Scenics snow scatter really created the right effect.

Attacking the Saxon right wing - massed Swedish squadorns


I calculated it was probably a full day game for 3-4 players per side. In the end we ran it twice as a historical re fight with the Swedes achieving to my recollection a reasonable but not spectacular victory once but on the second occasion coming such a cropper than we stopped the game - allowed the Swedes to disengage and re set with the Swedes fighting a rear guard action along the lone of the road which ran through their deployment area left to right.

During the game that ended in victory for the Swedes - the last stand of the Saxon centre


The cavalry led counter attack by the Saxons I seem to remember caused absolute chaos and Fraustadt become a dramatic Swedish defeat.

Swedish Vallack Allies charge Russian infantry


The troops came from the collections of Gunter Heim and your truly. I don't remember the guilty parties on either side but do certainly remember Gunter, Paul, Adam, Les, Mike and Jim at the table at various times.

The Saxon Guards


Maybe some of the lads will chip in with denials or claims of victory.



The armies close on  to contact on the third game - Swedish fighting retreat

It was a great game anyway.


23 comments:

  1. I'm fairly sure it was at Derby, the same year that Aughrim was run at the other end of the room, the one where history repeated itself right at the death (pun intended).
    In my turn at Fraustadt on the Saturday, with Gunther definitely and I think Jim, the Swedes smashed through the Russians in short order (by lunch if memory serves) and we then swapped sides and the Russians hung on for a narrow win in the afternoon. The Sunday attempt was the one where the umpire (Toggy) encouraged the Russians to pull back from the chevaux de frise and attack the Swedes as they were standing confused (and disordered)on the defensive side of the obstacle so the Swedes were crushed. Others may have clearer recollections and differing views, as happened in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are right Les, it was Derby, I recognize the curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barry your as bad as my wife, when we are watching a film she comments on things in the background. Lol.

    Seriously though a great layout again, I do like the basing on the figures. Also I did read there that in game 2 it didn't go so well for the swedes, it brings back memories of my game at Historicon last year with yourself and Clarence.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man...gotta love some GNW action! Definitely the flags bring out the awesome look of those Saxons. Good show.

    Any word on a GNW supplement for BLBv2?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gunter knew exactly what he wanted to do with the three flag look for the Saxons. I think these battalions look fantastic.

      Delete
  6. Looks fantastic, i'd love to give the GNW a go myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great presentation and the game(s) sound t
    Like they were enjoyed by all. Don't remember seeing this before. By thge way how thick are your bases?

    All the best
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fantastic and atmospheric game, love the beautiful terrain and armies...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes,it was Derby. I played the Swedes on the second day(with the 'Barry time' changes to the rules on crossing the Cheveau de frise) & my units were slaughtered under the 'rule adjustment.

    I'm still scarred & the entry in my Wargames Journal reads; 'I never want to play the Swedes again!' Yes, several of the supposedly 'indestructible' Swedish units 'routed'!

    I've played as a Swedish commander twice now....& lost twice. I'm returning to lie down in my dark room again.

    Traumatised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Played against them 3 times - 2 wins and a draw, and as them once - 1 win. Still worry when I see a GNW table at the weekends though, they are very scary.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  10. sorry about that Paul.. i didn't realize how much trauma I actually cause people... and that they were writing it down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still break out in cold sweats remembering my first taste of the Swedish Zombie machine - Klissau, with Gerry against Bill - and we won as the Saxons ! There were literally only a dozen or so Swedes left on the board at the end and we were still worrying they might find a way to win. Bill had to go and have a long lie down straight after. Vorsprung Durch Technique !

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for posting this Barry. I have been looking forward to seeing it for a long time. I think you have captured 'the look' beautifully and the first picture with the Swedish cavalry sweeping forward is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look brilliant Barry, very inspiring. Can I ask what unit the buff/yellow coated unit of cavalry is please? I have seen some pictures of buff coats but not sure of the units.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Actually some of my Skane War Swedes to make up numbers but.. if you consult the often fanciful works of the Swedish Romantic painter Gustav Cederstrom (Victorian/Edwardian era) he specialized in Karolinian subjects and shows Swedish cavlry at Fraustadt in buff coats at a church service. He is notorious for uniform inaccuracy however and may have been responsilbe for the 'Swedes in turned back lapel coats saga... Nice ideas in his paintings though - Stenbock at Helsingborg and Charles death march from Norway are very evocative

    ReplyDelete
  14. great looking game. who makes the chevaux de frise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember, Gunter owned these particularly deadly looking defence works and I seem to remember he had to assemble them himself. Maybe their intimidating look is why Paul still has nightmares about the game!

      Delete
    2. The Chevaux de Frise are made by Steve Barber Models

      Delete
    3. http://www.stevebarbermodels.com/28mm-general-purpose/140-28mmcheveauxdefrisewithboarspears.html

      Delete
  15. Still have half a Million of the CdF unfinished :-))

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Subscribe to get League of Augsburg updates by e-mail!

Join the League of Augsburg!

Search

The League of Augsburg © 2013 Supported by Best Blogger Templates and Premium Blog Templates - Web Design