Sunday, January 29, 2017

William of Orange - Warfare Miniatures by Mark Allen

Mark Allen was one of the main influences on my obsession with the period which has given its name to this Blog. I drooled over Mark's inspirational figures and games photographed so carefully by Duncan Macfarlane as far back as 1991 when they were a staple of Wargames Illustrated. His series on the armies of the period is still a go to resource for me and I am certain, many others.

It therefore gives me extreme pleasure to show case Mark's wonderful interpretation of William of Orange using Warfare Miniatures. Mark continues to show an interest in the period and he and I exchange correspondence on various aspects now and again.

Thanks Mark for the inspiration which has sustained a 24 year fascination for the period and driven my own efforts to bring some ideas and information to my fellow gamers as you did to me.

Enjoy folks!







For those curious about the unusual base shape Mark intends to put a staff group on another base behind but also use the two pieces separately.

11 comments:

  1. Fantastic detailed painted Miniature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is still a fantastic figure painter

    ReplyDelete
  3. That brings back fond memories of the early MW when Mark's work was in many issues.
    Very inspiring.
    Toggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is still producing loads of fantastic hand painted flags which he posts up on his FaceBook page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Barry really enjoyed doing it, I will send you images of the other base, when it's done. Cheers. Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a top bloke Mark - it is not often you can thank people that actually make a contribution to your 'life journey' - I mean that. This period has brought me enormous satisfaction and mental stimulation. Those pics of your Walcourt game and the staged shots in the other articles were a real springboard for everything I have done - you did a bang up job!

      Delete
  6. Lovely painted model.
    IS there a reason for the shape of the base?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wim, explained at the end of the blog post

      Delete
  7. Great stuff. Mark obviously recognises the painting that I worked from, but then Mark likely is very familiar with all the period paintings! Finding his WI articles in the late 90s was an inspiration for me when I thought nobody else was interested in the period.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a very nice piece of work and and excellent sculpt as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Much better Orange then the current American one!

    He'll be a perfect commander of any grand alliance army.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Subscribe to get League of Augsburg updates by e-mail!

Join the League of Augsburg!

Search

The League of Augsburg © 2013 Supported by Best Blogger Templates and Premium Blog Templates - Web Design