Thursday, June 8, 2017

Warfare ECW/TYW releases

Line of of three of the 10 Harquebusiers



This is a departure from our core period but an exciting one nonetheless. We have an initial release of nine sculpts of cavalry for the English Civil War / Thirty Years War period.


Montero and buff clothing


The dress of these 'Harquebusiers' is a mixture of armoured and unarmoured with lobster helmets, soft hats and montero caps. We have charging and resting poses both with swords and pistols.



Front view of the same figure


The saddles are integral to the riders. The definition on the models is very crisp with characterful faces and painting them was extremely easy and pleasurable.



This is one of the small horses in the standing pose



This first article shows three of the models which I have managed to squeeze into my painting schedule between lots of GNW and WSS pieces. I have tried to show different colours -tawny, crimson and blue sashes and different shades on the buff coats.



A more TYW colour scheme - hatted man on small galloping horse


I am an enthusiast about the period 1618-1648 and in fact my Pike & Shot passion began with the campaigns of Montrose, moving to the late 17th century about six or seven years after spending a lot of time collecting ECW and TYW models.



The 'Swedish' chap again


Where might Warfare Miniatures go with this diversion? Well, we are financially robust and a significant expansion is possible but that will somewhat depend on the response to these first 10 models.


I avoided as much as possible black and white when painting these models


The horse variants available to us now are significant. These models sit equally well on small, medium or large mounts and as can be seen, on standing or moving mounts.


A large trotting horse with a Royalist or Imperialist Harquebusier


I particularly enjoyed painting the armoured model which has a back and breast plus helmet configuration. Four (perhaps five, I just can't remember right now) of the models in the range have lobster helmets.

Same chap - three other helmeted models will make up an exciting unit



Tw models have montero caps and the remainder have soft hats. All have buff coats. The models are all master moulded and we can go to production pretty quickly.



A final view of one of the first three sculpts




I am in no great hurry to release these models and I will be interested in the market response and potential demand for them. Pricing will be in line with normal Warfare Miniatures cavalry packs with 3 models and horses in a pack with a price of £8.50.


The trio having swapped mounts


I don't normally actively solicit comment on models and leave that to the discretion of Blog followers but I would be particularly interested in the appetite for a dalliance in this period from Warfare.

28 comments:

  1. Well, that IS quite a surprise. They do look quite nice.

    Can Clarence be tempted into making oversized cavalry cornets to go with them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great. I would suggest that you do some with single bar helmets for the continent, and some without sashes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those ECW/TYW mounted Men may be a good addition to one of my own projects that I started a while ago for which Steve(Barber) allready sculpted 10+ Pikemen TYW Late Period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bit of a curve ball there, but not surprising with yours and Clarences interest in the period, I have a fledgling skirmish force so may well be adding some of these to it, I like the armoured figure in particular, Clib? as captured the look really well to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. These are not sculpted by Clib but the sculptor has done a bang up job!

      Delete
  5. Nice figures.

    I would definitely consider them for my TYW project. They guys in the soft hats look excellent.

    I will definitely support you by buying some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look amazing!
    Does That mean the next GNW/NYW/WSS cavalry will have saddle attached to the rider too?

    I understand you might have a bigger interest in the ECW period. But there is a proper lack of proper 30YW figures out there (both cavalry and infantry) with a couple exceptions. It's all ECW that we 30YW gamers just have to make due with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS. I think is some of your best paint work ever. You are a master with various colours of leather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very kind indeed Truls, I appreciate that appreciation!
      Inks are proving to be a very useful tool in leather, equipment and weathering. I always did love doing it on tanks!

      Delete
    2. I'm never happy with my leather work. Buff is harder than dark leather. But even when doing dark leather I'm not that satisfied.

      Delete
  8. Oh and my PS: There are no plans to do the Late 17th Century/GNW with integral saddles, however we may consider them on our next significant range in the period 1600-1720 which we have commenced planning for but not yet publicly announced. Sculpting time is reserved, initial releases discussed but the scalpel and tool work has not yet begun. It connects well to both TYW and GNW .. therein lies a clue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hm interesting. Based on those clues I'm thinking central/eastern Europe and in involves mostly two factions from the GNW.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woow Barry these are good news, more ranges :) I like them, keep them coming ! Im still looking for proper English, French and Spanish for the Battle of the Dunes 1658

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jose Maria, did you get my detailed mail?

      Delete
  11. Superb sculpts Barry and the painting isn't bad either😃,

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't be bothered replying to some of the vacuous remarks occasionally posted on tmp but for information, none of the figures here are glued to the horses and whilst moving them to photograph, a couple of riders slipped slightly forward producing an awkward orientation. They all fit perfectly. Never ceases to amaze me that posters there will tell the whole world why the won't buy or do something.. is it an encounter group or are they just lonely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the commment, yeah I noticed one of the rider was slightly to far forward nothing to even mention.

      And I have no idea what's supposidly wrong with the 9th picture!? I can't see any "sqwishing verticaly"

      Delete
    2. I saw the squash comment too and that made me laugh. The sculptor is no 'new kid on the block'. I am sure if I had revealed the name some of the comments would have been phrased differently :)
      For now I have decided not to say who the work was done by but only for reasons of interest re the nature and detail of comments.

      Delete
  13. Barry,
    I never take comments on top seriously, both the sculpting and painting just keeps on getting better. Those who can do, do and those who can't comment on tmp

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, what could the mystery range be? Possibly Turks and Poles?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Barry! Yes,I got it :), I replied yesterday afternoon

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed yes JM, received! I am travelling and will be in the US from Monday till Friday. I will try and respond again asap.

      Delete
  16. Right up my street Barry. I'll buy a regiment
    (24 or whatever) to get me going. Let me know when and how much!
    Roy L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certain you would do them proud Roy :)

      Delete
  17. Lovely models with great characterful faces and very convincing seat on their horses (due to the integral saddles?) Not really my period (yes of course I still have some figures...) Clib too bust for these or just not as interested in the subject matter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "too busy" that should be of course...

      Delete
  18. More of a serendipitous acquisition of the greens Adam. I now have all rights to them and have been in touch with the sculptor who may produce more for us contingent on demand.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Subscribe to get League of Augsburg updates by e-mail!

Join the League of Augsburg!

Search

The League of Augsburg © 2013 Supported by Best Blogger Templates and Premium Blog Templates - Web Design